What is happening at Red Oaks
- Classes are currently offered on Thursdays in Spring and Fall to enrich a homeschool education and provide regular free play in nature in a social setting.
- Monthly Family Workshop Series are beginning fall of 2018 to encourage family time in nature with topics and activities to celebrate the changing seasons.
- Offering stewardship opportunities, guided hikes, and citizen science days for all ages.
- Offering environmental educator workshops for aspiring naturalists, homeschool parents, and anyone interested in learning how to teach varying aspects of environmental education.
- Camp-outs are scheduled throughout the year in eastern Kentucky and beyond; exploring new ecosystems and habitats, as well as, building bonds and friendships that will last a lifetime. These opportunities provide lots of support for families new to camping.
- We are currently searching for land to create a permanent space to offer our classes and fulfill many of our goals including Forest Pre-school, community gardens, workshops, community outreach, and much, much more.
What We offer
- Age-appropriate, nature-based content all taught outside, rain or shine.
- Opportunities to increase fitness, strength, and team building through activities like hiking and rock climbing.
- Free play in nature as a part of every session.
- Stewardship opportunities to get involved in ecological restoration.
- Out-of-home socialization opportunities for homeschool families.
What we have achieved
- Helped families commit to weekly time in nature.
- Tripled our membership in 3 years and currently serving over 70 kids ranging from pre-k to high school.
- Established as a non-profit in 2017.